If you have a hair drug test coming up and you are looking for the best DIY home detox, you’ve come to the right place.
This is a review of the Macujo Method, one of the most popular home remedies for beating a hair drug test.
Based on the experiences of people who have used it, it is an effective way of clearing traces of marijuana from your hair. It’s not foolproof – no method is – but it greatly increases your chances of testing clean.
If you’ve come across it in forums or other blogs and are wondering if it will work for you, we’ll explain everything you need to know about the method including how to do it home.
For more on beating hair drug tests, read our in-depth guide with the top 4 ways explained.
I also recommend you take our 60-second quiz to know whether you are likely to pass or fail an upcoming drug test. You don’t need to enter your name or email to take the quiz.
What is the Macujo Method?
- What is the Macujo Method?
- Does the Macujo Method Actually Work?
- Does the Macujo Method Work for All Drugs?
- Does the Macujo Method Damage Hair?
- Does the Macujo Method Work for Opiates?
- Does the Macujo Method Work for Alcohol?
- Does the Macujo Method Work on Body Hair?
- How Does the Macujo method Work?
- When Should I Do the Macujo Method?
- Macujo Method: Step-by-Step Instructions
- How Long Does Macujo Method Last?
- How Effective is the Macujo Method?
The Macujo method originated at Marijuana.com around the early 2,000s. It was first described by a user who claimed he had used it to pass a hair drug test.
Since then, thousands of other people have told their own success stories in forums, social networks, and YouTube comments.
The method is hard on your hair. Your scalp will be feeling raw by the end of it. It’s also a bit pricey since you have to buy several products.
But many people who’ve used it say it is worth it.
Does the Macujo Method Actually Work?
Yes, it does for most people.
It works by opening your hair strands and deep-cleaning your hair to get rid of any traces of THC metabolites. But you have to follow the precise cleaning instructions and use the right products.
However, it is not a 100% guarantee that you will pass the test. But it’s your best bet if you want to get that job.
Does the Macujo Method Work for All Drugs?
The Macujo method is primarily for stoners, and most of the evidence about its effectiveness is for THC (the main chemical component in weed).
Some people say they have used it for other drugs like cocaine and opiates.
Does the Macujo Method Damage Hair?
The Macujo method is rough on your scalp and a bit hard on your hair. That’s necessary if you are going to get all the THC out.
But it does not cause any permanent damage to your hair.
The vinegar, shampoo, and detergent will do a number on your scalp. It will feel raw and irritated especially with all the scrubbing you’ll need to do.
This is made worse by the fact that you have to repeat the process at least five times before the day of the test.
The Macujo method can also leave your hair feeling dry and frizzy.
But as soon as you’ve taken the test (and passed, hopefully), your hair will bounce back pretty quickly.
All you need is a good moisturizer and conditioner.
Does the Macujo Method Work for Opiates?
As I mentioned, most of the evidence that the Macujo method works are only in regards to removing THC metabolites from hair.
We are not sure that it will work for opiates such as heroin, codeine, and morphine.
You can go ahead and try it, but we can’t guarantee anything.
Does the Macujo Method Work for Alcohol?
As with opiates, we cannot guarantee that the Macujo method will get rid of traces of alcohol in your hair.
Does the Macujo Method Work on Body Hair?
Labs typically take a sample of your head hair for testing. It provides better drug use analysis than body hair.
But that doesn’t mean that they can’t take body hair. In some cases, such as when your head hair is too short, or the employee doesn’t need to know exactly when you took the drug, body hair can be used.
If you are worried that they will take hair from your body, you can use the Macujo method on your armpits and legs.
It works just as well.
Use the same process you used for your head hair and repeat it the same number of times.
How Does the Macujo method Work?
The Macujo method relies on a 2-step process to get rid of drug metabolites from your hair.
The first step is opening up your hair follicles using vinegar. Then the Salicylic acid shampoo and tide detergent wash away the THC from your hair and scalp.
Repeat the process several times to completely get rid of the metabolites.
When Should I Do the Macujo Method?
You should give yourself at least 5-7 days before the day of the test. Repeat the Macujo method every day including on the day just before the test.
Repeating the process every day ensures that any new hair growth is cleansed.
If you don’t have that much time, you can also try three days. Some people have repeated the process for three days and passed the test.
But consider doing it twice a day instead of just once.
If you’ve been given just a day’s notice, you can still give it a try. Some people have repeated it 3-4 times in a single day and passed the test.
Of course, the chances that you’ll pass go down, but it’s better than freaking out and doing nothing.
Important: You should have stopped smoking weed or taking any other drugs immediately you knew you were getting a test. Do not smoke again until you are in the clear.
It’s usually a good idea to wait at least a week after the test before you smoke another joint. It is not uncommon for labs to request a re-test for one reason or another.
Wait until you’ve heard from your employer or the lab that you’ve passed.
Macujo Method: Step-by-Step Instructions
If you’d rather watch a video, here’s a 10-minute one explaining what you’ll need and how to wash your hair.
What You’ll Need
- Heinz vinegar – you can get it online or from a local store.
- Aloe Toxin Rid shampoo. This is the older formula of Aloe Rid with a higher level of propylene glycol content. Beware buying fake shampoos from Amazon and eBay. The best place to get it is TestClear.com. It’s a bit pricey because it’s hard to come by, but it’s the only one that works.
- Tide detergent – easily available in most stores.
- Salicylic acid shampoo. Use Clean and Clear pink or Neutrogena T/Sal.
- At least a dozen shower caps. You’ll need that many since you cannot reuse them to avoid re-contamination.
- Goggles to protect your eyes.
- Rubber gloves to protect your hands.
Buy all the ingredients and have them ready in your bathroom.
You’ll want to use a large deep sink for this. There will be a lot of scrubbing and rinsing going on.
Here are the step-by-step directions.
- Put on the goggles and gloves.
- Wet your hair with warm water.
- Pour Heinz vinegar on your head, making sure it has spread everywhere. If you have thick hair, work the vinegar deep into your scalp. The vinegar will burn especially if you have a sensitive scalp. Do not rinse.
- Take the Salicylic acid shampoo and squeeze a generous dollop into your hand. Then massage it into your hair and scalp. Also scrub it on the skin surrounding your hair including the eyebrows, forehead, and ears. The shampoo combined with the vinegar will burn quite a bit.
- Put on one of the shower caps and leave the shampoo and vinegar in your hair to rest for half an hour. Have a wet towel with you to wipe away any shampoo that trickles down your face.
- After 30 minutes, remove the shower cap and rinse your hair thoroughly using warm water.
- Wash your hair with the Aloe Toxin Rid shampoo. Make sure you are using the old formula. Scrub it deep into your hair and scalp then rinse. Wash and rinse a second time.
- Use a small amount of time to wash your hair one last time. Then rinse thoroughly with lots of warm water until you’ve removed all cleaning chemicals from your hair.
If you have 5-7 days to the test, repeat this procedure every day. If you only have three days, do it twice a day.
Remember to use a new shower cap every time you wash your hair to avoid any contamination.
Also be careful about coming into contact with things like pillows. Change the pillow cases or sleep with a new shower cap every day.
How Long Does Macujo Method Last?
The Macujo method only cleans the visible hair that is above your scalp. Any new growth will still have THC metabolites.
That’s why you need to repeat the cleaning process daily until the day before the test. If you don’t, you might fail the test.
How Effective is the Macujo Method?
You’ll hear different opinions about the effectiveness of the Macujo method and other home remedy methods.
Experts and test clinics say it doesn’t work and you are just wasting your time.
But you’ll get a very different opinion when you listen to actual people who have tried it.
Most of the people who post in social media networks like Reddit, in forums and in comments sections of YouTube videos and blogs say that it worked for them.
Some actually had just three days to get clean, but they did it.
Of course, many other factors may have contributed to their clean test. Perhaps they weren’t heavy smokers or had stopped smoking long enough that only a few metabolites were in their hair.
But I think the Macujo method also helped a lot.
It will not work for everybody, and it is not a guarantee that you will pass the test. But if you are looking for a home remedy with the best chances of getting your hair clean, it is your best option.
Give it a try and good luck with your test.
If you have any more questions about hair drug tests in general, read my answers to the most frequently asked questions about hair follicle drug tests.