If you have a hair drug test coming up, there are two DIY detox procedures you can do at home to get rid of THC in your hair: the Macujo method and the Jerry G method.
The Macujo method is the most popular and has higher success rates.
However, it is more expensive, and some heavy marijuana users say it does not work for them.
The best alternative to the Macujo method is the Jerry G method.
It is harsher on your hair but it’s cheaper and with enough time before the test, can work for heavy smokers.
Read on to learn more about the Jerry G method.
For additional methods and tips, read our in-depth guide to learn more about hair drug tests.
Also, take a look at our FAQ page where we answer the most common questions about hair follicle drug tests.
What is the Jerry G Detox Method?
- What is the Jerry G Detox Method?
- Does the Jerry G Method Actually Work?
- Does the Jerry G Method Work for All Drugs?
- Does the Jerry G Method Damage Hair?
- Does the Jerry G Method Work for Opiates?
- Does the Jerry G Method Work for Alcohol?
- Does the Jerry G Method Work on Body Hair?
- How Does the Jerry G Method Work?
- When Should I Do the Jerry G Method?
- Jerry G Method: Step-by-Step Instructions
- How Long Does Jerry G Method Last?
- How Effective is the Jerry G Method?
The Jerry G method has its origins in a cannabis.com forum from a user named, you guessed it, Jerry G.
He claimed that it helped him pass a drug test.
Since then, it has gotten more popular as more people also say it works for them. It is usually recommended as a cheaper alternative to Macujo.
The main downside of the Jerry G method is just how harsh it is. Be ready to cut your hair afterward or take through an extensive restoration process.
Does the Jerry G Method Actually Work?
Success rates for this method are not as high as those of the Macujo method. But a large majority of people who have tried it say it works.
Of course, there is no hard evidence or statistics to prove that it works. We are going by the many success stories we’ve seen on forums and social media.
But as with any other detox method, it is not foolproof. There is no guarantee that after you detox your hair, you will pass the test.
It only increases your chances of passing.
For the best chances of success, make sure you stop smoking immediately and don’t take any other drugs.
You also need at least ten days before the test to do the detox. If you start detoxing too close to the test, you might fail.
Does the Jerry G Method Work for All Drugs?
Most of the evidence is for THC, not other drugs. There is no assurance that it will work with other drugs like opiates or alcohol.
Does the Jerry G Method Damage Hair?
Yes, it does unless you are lucky to have strong hair that withstands the or deal without permanent damage. If that’s you, a good moisturizer and restorative conditioner will help reverse the damage.
But for most people who go through the detox, the damage is beyond repair. The only option is to cut your hair and grow it afresh.
The products used in the Jerry G method are much harsher than those in the Macujo method. You have to bleach and dye your hair twice in the period of just ten days.
This leaves your hair weak, dry and usually permanently damaged.
It’s also very irritating to the scalp because you have to use bleach with a high level of hydrogen peroxide content as well as dye containing ammonia.
Does the Jerry G Method Work for Opiates?
As I mentioned, it’s mostly used by weed smokers. I cannot guarantee that it will work for opiates.
Does the Jerry G Method Work for Alcohol?
I’m not sure and can’t guarantee you’ll pass the test if you use it.
Does the Jerry G Method Work on Body Hair?
During a hair drug test, the lab tech will usually take hair from your head. It is best for analyzing past drug use and showing the last time you used a drug (up to 90 days back).
But in a few cases, they can take hair from your body. This is usually done when it’s not possible to take hair from your head (e.g., when you’ve shaved).
The Jerry G method works on body hair, but I strongly recommend against it.
The hydrogen peroxide bleach and ammonia in the dye are going to be very irritating to your exposed skin. They are going to burn like hell since there is no much hair protecting you.
You could even get chemical burns.
My advice is to shave off your body hair to cut off the possibility that they will use it for the test (but don’t shave your head). Shave your arms, legs, chest, stomach, and armpits.
How Does the Jerry G Method Work?
The principle behind the Jerry G method is similar to that behind the Macujo method. The hydrogen peroxide and baking soda open up your hair cuticles.
This makes it easier to wash out the THC metabolites using the Toxin Wash and Zydot Shampoos.
When Should I Do the Jerry G Method?
You need to start detoxing at least ten days before the test.
Do your first bleaching on the day you learn about the test and the second one 7-10 days after the first bleaching.
You only need to bleach and dye twice and then run your hair through a final shampoo wash on the day of the test.
Jerry G Method: Step-by-Step Instructions
What You’ll need
One of the advantages of the Jerry G method is that it’s cheaper. You probably have most of these products at home, or you can get them for cheap at the store.
Here are all the products you’ll need. Buy them ahead of time and have all of them on hand before you begin.
- A bottle of peroxide bleach (40 volume)
- An ammonia-based hair dye in your original hair color
- SynergyDetox Toxin Wash shampoo
- Zydot shampoo
- Baking soda
I also recommend you get several pairs of gloves and a pair of protective goggles. Trust me; you are going to need them.
This process is harsh on your hair and skin. It is going to burn and cause significant hair damage. Before you do any bleaching or washing, don your gloves and goggles to protect your hands and eyes.
Here’s the step by step process for the Jerry G detox method.
- Stop using marijuana and any other drugs immediately.
- Do the first bleaching and dying on the day you stop smoking weed. You’ll need the peroxide bleach and hair dye for this.
- Bleaching your hair can be a bit tricky. If you don’t think you can do it properly yourself, ask a friend to help you or go to the salon.
- After bleaching, dye your hair with the ammonia-based dye. Again, this is something you can do yourself or have it done at a salon.
- Wash your hair thoroughly with the Toxin Wash shampoo. Remember to check the dye for instructions on how long to wait before washing your hair to avoid stripping off the dye.
- Repeat the bleach and dye procedure ten days after the last one. If you don’t have ten days, do it as close to the testing day as possible.
- Follow the second bleach-and-dye with another toxin wash.
- On the day of the test, take the baking soda and turn it into a paste by adding a little bit of water. Massage the paste into your hair and let it rest for 15 minutes. It helps open up your cuticles in preparation for the next step.
- With your cuticles open, wash your hair thoroughly with the Toxin Wash shampoo to strip away any remaining THC metabolites.
- Finish with a Zydot shampoo wash.
Some heavy users prefer doing the last three steps – baking soda then Toxin Wash shampoo then Zydot shampoo – several times just to be safe.
How Long Does Jerry G Method Last?
If you follow the process to a tee and finish it on the day of the test, you should be alright.
But if you decide to do the last wash a couple of days before the test, you could fail. This is because your hair will have new growth that will be tainted with THC metabolites.
The Jerry G method only detoxes the visible hair above the scalp. That’s why it is important to do the last wash on the day of the test.
If for some reason the lab requests another test a few days after the first one, you’ll have to repeat the final three steps of the procedure all over again to cleanse any new hair growth.
The risk of a re-test is why you shouldn’t start smoking immediately after taking a test. Wait until you get the all clear from the lab or your employer.
How Effective is the Jerry G Method?
A lot of people who’ve used it say it works. Even heavy daily smokers say they tested clean after using the Jerry G method.
So based on this – admittedly very unscientific – evidence, I would say the Jerry G method is quite effective.
You may not have heard much about it. But this is because the Macujo method is more popular and is the one you’ll hear mentioned more often in social media and forums.
But for heavy users, I think the harsher Jerry G method has better results.
But that’s not a guarantee. There’s still a chance you might fail the test even after following all the instructions.
But it’s better than just giving up and hoping everything goes well.
So give it a try and good luck with your test.